Small incision lenticule extraction, also known as SMILE, has become a new refractive procedure in the world of ophthalmology. This kind of surgery treats various refractive errors in the eyes like myopia, hyperopia, presbyopia, and astigmatism. Under this procedure, femtosecond laser technology is used that creates a corneal lenticule. This is then extracted by making a small incision in your eye. This kind of surgery could be termed similar to LASIK. The postoperative outcomes of SMILE eye surgery are even better than LASIK.
SMILE eye surgery procedure:
This surgery is performed using a femtosecond laser. The surgeon makes the use of this laser to create a tiny lens-shaped bit of tissue within your cornea. Using the same laser, another tiny arc-shaped incision is made on the surface of the cornea. The surgeon then extracts the lenticule via this incision, after which it is discarded. Once the tiny lenticule is removed, the cornea’s shape is then changed, thereby correcting the problem of near-sightedness. This incision heals within a few days. You don’t need any stitches. Eventually, you get a sharper and better vision.
SMILE surgery could correct up to -10.00 D of near-sightedness. To be qualified for this kind of surgery, you need to have a healthy eye, not more than -0.50 D of astigmatism. Your eyeglass prescription must remain stable for at least 12 months.
Benefits of SMILE eye surgery:
SMILE surgery makes use of the latest advancement in treating a multitude of eye problems. This is the reason many people are opting for this eye surgery over the others. Following are the advantages of SMILE surgery:
- The surgeon does not create a corneal flap during this surgery. This makes the procedure very easy and quick to recover for the patient.
- This kind of surgery doesn’t cause dry eyes. As a limited number of corneal nerves are affected in the procedure, dry eyes are scarce.
- The recovery associated with this kind of surgery is very easy and quick. In most cases, the patient can recover in around 48 hours after the surgery.
- Once you have opted for SMILE eye surgery, you don’t have to go for any other surgery to correct myopia. This saves you time, risk, and money.
Limitations associated with SMILE eye surgery:
Although there are many advantages of opting for SMILE surgery, this concept includes some limitations as well.
- This type of surgery is used only to treat near-sightedness compared to other surgery forms, such as LASIK and PRK.
- LASIK and PRK can treat higher-order aberrations that could affect your night vision. This kind of treatment is not available when you opt for SMILE eye surgery. On the contrary, this surgery may as well increase the problem to some degree.
- You might suffer from a residual refractive error after the surgery, which might further require another vision correction. The second vision correction is then done by PRK and not SMILE.
- Lastly, this kind of surgery is a little costlier when compared to other forms of surgery.
Cost of SMILE eye surgery:
All kinds of laser vision correction prices vary in different parts of the world. In India, the cost of SMILE surgery is slightly higher as compared to LASIK and PRK. You may be charged Rs. 50,000 for your treatment via SMILE surgery.
The problem of near-sightedness is well treated by SMILE eye surgery. Check if you are the right candidate for the surgery or not. If yes, contact the best surgeon in your city and go for the procedure.