The Synthetic Spider Silk market is estimated to be valued at US$ 1212.68 Mn in 2023 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 6.1% over the forecast period 2023 to 2030, as highlighted in a new report published by Coherent Market Insights.
Synthetic spider silk is a novel biomaterial that mimics the exceptional properties of natural spider silk produced in spiders’ silk glands. It has high tensile strength and elasticity comparable to strongest known natural fibers such as Kevlar. Synthetic spider silk finds widespread applications as lightweight protective materials in bulletproof vests, medical implants and sutures owing to its biocompatibility. It is also gaining traction in textile industries to produce clothes, fibers and parachutes that are strong and resilient yet comfortable.
The growing demand for lightweight protective materials from defense industries around the world is a key driver boosting growth of synthetic spider silk market. Synthetic spider silk fabrics offer ballistic protection equivalent to or stronger than armor steel while being lighter and more flexible. Additionally, synthetic spider silk fibers are witnessing increasing adoption in apparel and sportswear industries due to properties like durability, moisture wicking and breathability. Rising investments by specialized manufacturers in development of cost-effective production technologies to scale up the supply are also propelling the market growth. However, high costs associated with the research and production of synthetic spider silk continue to restrain the market to some extent.
– Synthetic spider silk fibers are very strong, yet flexible. They have high tensile strength and elasticity similar to spider silk.
– The process of manufacturing synthetic spider silk is more cost effective and efficient than natural spider silk farming.
– The properties of synthetic spider silk such as high strength, biocompatibility make it suitable for various industrial applications.
– Mass production of synthetic spider silk requires complex genetic and biochemical engineering which increases production costs.
– There are technological challenges in replicating the exact properties of natural spider silk at commercial scale.
– Growing demand for strong and lightweight materials from industries such as automotive, aerospace, sports equipment offers huge market opportunities.
– Potential applications in biomedical sector as synthetic spider silk is non-toxic and biodegradable which can be used in sutures, scaffolds and drug delivery.
– Stiff competition from other synthetic fibers that are widely used in various industries limits the growth.
– Issues regarding public perception and acceptance of genetically modified organisms used in synthetic spider silk production.
The global Synthetic Spider Silk Market Size is expected to witness high growth, exhibiting CAGR of 6.1% over the forecast period, due to increasing demand for high performance fibers in various industries.
North America dominates the global synthetic spider silk market and is expected to continue its dominance over the forecast period. This is attributed to presence of major key players and growing research & development activities on synthetic spider silk. Asia Pacific exhibits the fastest growth in synthetic spider silk market led by countries like China, Japan and India. Increasing industrialization, research funding and rising applications are driving the market growth.
Key players operating in the synthetic spider silk market are Kraig Biocraft Laboratories, Spiber Inc., AMSilk, and Bolt Threads. Kraig Biocraft Laboratories is a leading player focused on developing transgenic silkworms capable of producing synthetic spider silk proteins. Spiber Inc. works on brewing synthetic spider silk from genetically engineered microorganisms.