“When they see you, that’s how they write you” – you have heard these words many times in your life. Perhaps from your mom, who reminded you to dress smart on Sunday, from your partner who said so after noticing your hole in your sock, or anyone else. Whether they like it or not, these words are very true to how our surroundings perceive our results from our appearance and our behaviour. Knowing what the art of self-presentation is and knowing the rules of creating your image will achieve more and with greater effectiveness. So, the game is worth the candle!
The Art of Self-Presentation, Or What Exactly?
Regardless of what we do on a daily basis and what kind of people we work among, each of us appears in front of an audience that is more or less engaged in our activities. This audience pays attention to our clothes, accessories, posture, facial expressions, hairstyles, and many other aspects. All of this affects how our surroundings perceive us. Do people find us confident, cheerful, and friendly, or the opposite? Or maybe for the timid, sad, and surly. Payday Loans Texas is a good option to get a loan. Each such opinion can impact how our life will turn out and what opportunities will open up on our way. Therefore, skilful image creation is very important, and the art of self-presentation is one that is worth mastering as soon as possible.
What Is Self-Presentation?
It is a process aimed at creating a perception of oneself in others’ eyes that will be satisfactory for a specific person. In other words, it is the ability to adjust clothes, behaviours, and attitudes in such a way that they are perceived properly and beneficially by the environment. Self-presentation is sometimes called false self-advertising. What’s more, it is sometimes even compared to a theatrical performance (the author of this theory is Erving Goffman). In the play, a person plays a role in achieving a certain impression or benefit.
However, we would like to look at the art of self-presentation a bit differently as a series of skills that will allow you not to manipulate people with your appearance but to win them over by showing your best and truest qualities. Nowadays, when individualities are highly valued, and taboos are collapsing one after another, being “yourself” is right, and you don’t have to pretend to be anyone to achieve your own goals anyway. However, the main thing is to be aware of ourselves and how our environment perceives us and what we should do to make a better impression.
The Art of Self-Presentation – Creating an Image In A Few Simple Steps
Creating an image is very valuable both on a personal and professional level. Let the words of Aristotle confirm this. ” When the state of the soul changes, so does the appearance of the body, and vice versa: when the appearance of the body changes, so does the state of the soul.” Mastering the art of self-presentation will allow you to look better, feel better, and behave better.
If you want to change something for the better and take care of your right image, you shouldn’t change it suddenly. Does it step by step? During each of them, you will have to answer some very important questions.
Step 1 – Think How Your Surroundings Perceive You
- Who am I?
- What are my strengths and weaknesses?
- What do people think about my pros and cons?
- Do I arouse sympathy, hostility, or indifference?
- How often do I enter into new relationships, and how long do I maintain them?
- How willingly do others relate to me?
- What do my friends and strangers think of me?
- How do my loved ones perceive me?
As you can see, the first step is, to be honest with yourself. Therefore, it is often the most problematic. In many cases, it is difficult for us to admit the flaws and mistakes we make daily. Nay. It’s also hard to find your strengths, even though theoretically we should know them better than anyone else. Therefore, when answering these questions, you can consult others – it is thanks to external opinions, you will confirm your feelings. Confront them, and don’t be afraid of them. After all, you want to change for the better, so you have to figure out what needs to be improved, right?
Step 2 – Think About What You Want to Change
- Which of your features are worth improving, which should be strengthened, and which ones should be sidelined?
- How do you want your surroundings to perceive you?
- Who will be your audience?
- How do you want to feel about yourself, and what image will suit you best?
- How to improve your image to feel natural?
Again, many questions, but no one said it would be easy. You need to choose a direction that you will take, which allows you to feel good about yourself. Remember that the key to success is natural. Pretending to be someone you are not can eventually strip you of your credibility, and the masks you need to wear daily will weigh in more and more over time. Therefore, when considering improving your image, consider who you are and who you do not want to become.
Step 3 – Put the Theory into Practice
When you know what to change and how to take care of your self-presentation, you will have nothing else but a specific action. Adapt appropriate clothing, train habits and behaviours, get more involved in specific matters, and work on yourself. Remember that the art of self-presentation is not easy to master so that you will need patience and willpower. However, your dedication must sooner or later pay off!
Good Self-Presentation – 10 Timeless Rules
- The right look and outfit– our appearance is the first to be seen, and it is on this basis that many people form a preliminary opinion about us. Therefore, it is worth taking care of yourself, your hairstyle or makeup, and matching your clothes to a specific situation.
- Punctuality– good self-presentation is only possible if you are a professional. And one of its most essential features is punctuality – do not be late because it can have a terrible impact on relationships.
- Proper posture– don’t cross your arms and feet – be open to your interlocutors by letting them know that you are positive and that they can talk to you about anything.
- Controlled movements– the art of self-presentation also involves controlling gestures. Keep your hands in check, don’t swing your leg nervously, and don’t squirm in the chair – all signs of nervousness.
- Appropriate facial expressions– whether you smile and have a cheerful face significantly impact creating your image. A marsh forehead and a sour face will certainly not help you build a relationship.
- Eye contact– Maintaining eye contact is a great way to make and stay in touch. Remember that frequent eye aversion can be a sign of nervousness or a negative attitude towards the recipient.
- Proper voice control– the right volume and tone of voice or the pace of speaking also affect relationships, so it is worth mastering this art as well as possible.
- Appropriate preparation– it is necessary, especially when you need to demonstrate your knowledge. It also builds your image as a professional and one hundred per cent reliable person.
- Distance– How far you stand from your interlocutor can make a difference! The longer the distance, the more negative it may be towards the person you are in dialogue with. Payday Loans Las Vegas has no distance limitations.
- Touch– while not much of it in official relationships, it can make a big difference. For example, when greeting – remember that your handshake should be strong and firm, but not too strong!
Self-Presentation is a power of attraction that urges viewers and makes them eligible to write about us. It’s not only an impression; you can achieve more goals and effective outcomes by adopting this.